Re: [OT] Off Topic guideline request

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

I think this makes it easier for new users (new to forums in general, that is) to figure out what goes when considering what's on topic and what's off topic.

Also, this makes it easier to filter out [OT] posts when searching.

Do you disagree? You've followed this standard before, e.g. http://openeuphoria.org/forum/m/89370.wc

I do understand what you are saying, its just that I'm not sure that using the [OT] or any other prefix is a good way to achieve it. Now, assuming that [OT] stands for Off Topic, it begs the question - What is the topic that this post is not about?. The first response might be Euphoria, which assumes that the topic of this entire forum is the programming language. But who has decreed that?

I suspect that this forum is more generally a place in which members of the Euphoria community (how ever that is defined) can post stuff that could be of interest to other members. I'd hate to see the forum become a boring - fixated - place.

However, I can still see that filtering out uninteresting posts, or filtering in specific posts, would a useful idea. And I think that the forum already has such a feature, which is greatly under utilized.

I bring your attention to the fact that any post can be categorized, and to any category you like. The administrators can ensure that categories are not misused. Now we might like to make categorizing posts a bit more intuitive or easy, but the basic structure is already in place.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu