Re: What is process_lines? and general complaint on the new manual

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hi

It used to be that all functions required a return value, or else an error would be thrown. Now, when you call a function, you don't need a return value, so

function foo() 

return 1 
end function 

integer x 
x = foo()  -- ok eu 3.xx, and 4.xx 

foo() --throws and error with eu3, but is ok with 4 

Kind of makes the procedure redundant, makes no real difference with speed (AFAIK), and seems to be being maintained for backwards compatability.

On the subject of the manual, I find it readable, and clear (see the section where it says 'Returns :'), I think the problem is with the explanation of the function itself. I would probably avoid it myself (personally), as, for me, it reduces clarity of the code (others may / will disagree). Perhaps a 'simpleton' (stress for the likes of me too!) explanation would be of benefit. To me, the example is not of much help.

-- Format each supplied line according to the format pattern supplied as well. 
function show(sequence aLine, integer line_no, object data) 
  writefln( data[1], {line_no, aLine}) 
  if data[2] > 0 and line_no = data[2] then 
  	return 1 
  else 
  	return 0 
  end if 
end function 
-- Show the first 20 lines. 
process_lines("sample.txt", routine_id("show"), {"[1z:4] : [2]", 20}) 
                                                --^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a better explanation of this 

The function show(), seems to be writing to a file, rather than showing it, and where does the 'first 20 lines' come from?

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu