Re: Programming and Martial Arts

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I guess for me, I have to develop in multiple languages. The last thing I want is a language centric editor. What does that mean? I would have to learn Editor XYZ when programming in C, Editor ABC when programming in Euphoria, Editor 123 when editing HTML files, etc... Editors can be complex and I don't want to have to learn a new one for each language I use. An editor (to me) should have some common features/functions: Method navigation, Search/Replace, Block Indent/Unindent, Syntax Highlighting, Code Templates, Multiple File Support, Ability to define Language Centric Tools (F7 for example tests my current Euphoria file for syntax correctness or when editing a HTML file F7 tests for HTML correctness, ...). That's the bare bones I'd want for an editor (off the top of my head). Now, I use many advanced functions of my editor to make my job as a programmer much easier.

I think of a carpenter and his tools when it comes to programming. Sure, a house can be built with a hammer and a hand saw (notepad in my analogy). How much quicker would it go with a measuring tape, nail gun, table saw, scaffolding, crane for lifing roofing material, circular saw, laser levels, squares, protractors, etc... Of course that adds to the knowledge the carpenter must have but in the end the carpenter not only gets the job done sooner but better (i.e. a hand cut joint vs. jigged joint). This is the same with a well crafted editor. The job gets done sooner and indeed better (think indentation consistency, consistency with common templates, keyword expansion, etc...)

That's my 2 cents on the editor debate.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu