Re: Programming and Martial Arts

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Shian_Lee said...

OpenEuphoria looks more and more like a "Black belts only classroom".
What about "...and a lot more fun than other languages."? or "...easy to learn..."?
Do the 'Black belts' are willing to answer, or maybe, Euphoria is losing, slowly but surely its advantage over other complicated languages.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Euphoria, including version 4.0, are the real thing.
But - what about a non-black-belt students? - Euphoria, now days, don't offer much.
Euphoria don't supply a simple editor, simple documentation, simple path for beginners.

Somehow, Euphoria is losing its charm.

Is Euphoria going to look like Java in the next few years?
Will we need to read 30,000 pages of documentation and confusion just so we can say "I know how to program"?

I think that euphoria v4 is still every bit as easy to use as v3 was. In fact, some of the newer features make it easier to get up and started.

Some things are a little bit more complicated, such as the addition of scopes beyond global, but these really do make using euphoria simpler, as they are part of a large effort to make it easy to use 3rd party libraries without having to worry that naming conflicts will require the user to edit those libraries. And for the typical library user, almost nothing has changed. The library developer has some more powerful tools, however.

I think this forum is a great resource for new and experienced euphoria programmers alike. There are many people around with 10+ years of euphoria coding under their belts.

There are some significant enhancements to the language, but I really do think that once you try some of them out, you'll find that they really do make programming in euphoria a lot easier, and, yes, more fun. Some aspects of the language have addressed some areas of coding that offer a lot of convenience (like default values for routine parameters). And the new standard library delivers a ton of functionality right out of the gate.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu