Re: scope of variables

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jeremy said...
jaygade said...

Consistent with what? Procedures and functions are self-contained pieces of code. By enabling variables to be defined with in certain other blocks, those blocks also become self-contained pieces of code. One thing is like the other. Consistent. The only other way to make it consistent is to remove the ability to define variables in a block at all.

Maybe my original example was unclear. Here is another of what I consider to be the proper solution

integer file_log_level = log:WARNING 

procedure abc() 
    integer abc = 20 -- VALID 
    integer file_log_level = log:ERROR -- INVALID 
    if 10 then 
        integer def -- VALID 
        integer abc -- INVALID 
    end if 
end procedure 

i.e. redefinition of any variable in any child scope is invalid. This is consistent and good practice. There is no reason to redefine file_log_level inside of a procedure or any child scope.

Jeremy

The problem with that is that it could break a lot of pre-existing code. All the way back from the 1.x days.

Since we're post-4.0, we absolutely can not make this change. We can not break existing code.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu