Re: Compiling RC2 on Windows: failed

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Due to the innmediate responses from developers, this might be seen as a bit out-dated. Anyway, I think there are a couple of things that worth being clarified.

jimcbrown said...

I guess you have EUDIR set. So configure.bat sees EUDIR and defaults to -with-euphoria.

You need to manually run configure with the -without-euphoria option.

I already run configure with and without --without-euphoria option and the result is the same.

DerekParnell said...

I build Euphoria almost everyday.

You are a lucky man.

DerekParnell said...

However, what you might not understand is that one cannot build Euphoria with only a C compiler and linker as your tool set. This is because a lot of Euphoria is written in Euphoria itself and only some portions of it are written in C.

In order to build Euphoria, one must have either a working Euphoria interpreter plus a C compiler and linker.

What you might not understand is that if you (the developer) put an option --without-euphoria in configure.bat, that means without euphoria (interpreter). If that's not the case, please remove the option from configure help.

DerekParnell said...

I assume you haven't downloaded the Windows installer, but only downloaded the pre-translated source files. Let us know if that's the case.

That's the case.

DerekParnell said...

To something is "problematic" implies that there are many problems and that the problems are inherent in the object. Is strongly disagree the Euphoria v4 is "problematic". I'm sure there are bugs still existing, just as every complex piece of software has bugs in it. But to imply that these bugs are everywhere and that they prevent the successful use of the product (i.e. problematic) is a gross misrepresentation of the truth.

Another point you might not understand is that Euphoria 4.0 does not simply imply Euphoria. The latter evokes Robert Craig, while v. 4.0 implies developers other than the language creator, because those developers have taken a route that, for sure, Rogert Craigh would not.

So -and sorry if I'm being rude and no offense intended here-, when I talk about Euphoria being problematic I am not referring to the language itself. I do know Euphoria 4.0 is an ambitious project and appreciate the effort developers are doing, but you should admit that developers team works in such a disorganized way that ends in gross (to use your own words) contradictions like saying that Euphoria can't be compiled from sources without the interpreter, while other developers say all the contrary. I have even read posts from developers recognizing the fact that the team does work in a disorganized way.

Of course, since I'm not obliged to use Euphoria, someone could say "take it or leave it", but, for the same token, since none is obliged to develop Euphoria, I could say the same regarding development, which, of course, I'm not saying. I strongly desagree with someone who posted that currently, either Euphoria lacks of high-tech programmers or those programmers haven't the time necessary to develop the language. I do believe that some of the developers are high-tech programmers and I do know all of you are devoting a lot of time developing the language since it's enough to see the frequency with which patches are uploaded to SF.

DerekParnell said...

The only other person to mention problematic appears to be trying to use MS-DOS features from v3 that are no longer supported. This might be a problem for that person but it is not a problem with v4 itself.

As I stated in my previous post, I'm not referring to the same reasons invoked by the other user. But, in the event that that were the case, the fact that there is only one person on the forum mentioning Euphoria is problematic, does not mean he/she is the only one thinking that. I guess users base is a bit larger than just the few people posting here, and neither you nor me know what that wider base is thinking about Euphoria and not posting their thoughts on the forum.

DerekParnell said...

What exactly are the many serious problems you are having with v4? We can't fix things if we don't know about them.

For me not being able to compile Euphoria is a serious problem. Please note that this is not the first time I tried to do it. A few days ago, I submitted a bug request for the same reason. I downloaded eubins r4511 and source r4511 and failed. I remembered you pointing me going backwards to another revision and then upgrading to another... all of which had nothing to do with which I was informing because I was trying to compile from a clean installation.

I could add more examples like receiving error messages while running code with the interpreter, telling about asserts failing and pointing me to .c source files that have nothing to do with what I was doing.

If I don't submit every problem I encounter is because I use Euphoria neither for production nor have any project in mind using it, though I'd like to do it since I think Euphoria has a great potential. Just playing with it for fun but a fun that is resulting not so funny.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu