Re: Euphoria 4.0 appears to problematic

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mcwong said...

I have used 3.11 for quite sometime and decided to try version 4. It appears to be very troublesome, probably because of the documentation where the sample codes do not work. Constants such as CONSOLE, KEYBOARD, as given in the sample throws out error msg. Even "namespace io" throws "errors resolving the following references". running on win XP, statements such as if platform()=LINUX throws an errorI really cannot describe the problems compared to v3.11. I'm using RC 2. Also documentation is at best sketchy especially on using win32lib

A lot of the default constants that were used in 3.11, have changed in 4.0. An example, being platform() is now deprecated for detecting which platform your on. Instead, use the ifdef ... elsifdef ... elsedef ... end ifdef for platform specific code. The reason for this, is to reduce the overhead code that has to be executed at runtime, as with the previous method of platform(), it was always ran each and every time a function or procedure with platform() in it was called. Where as with the ifdef system, it offsets the work of what platform() did to a single parse time execution, to determine what code to use.

CONSOLE and KEYBOARD I believe are old constants used for DOS programs, which I am not certain on. But we have dropped DOS Support for 4.0, and has been stated on the forum, that there are people looking for coders to renew development for DOS Support.

As for Win32lib. This is a separate project, that is not officially sponsored or supported by the developers of the Core Language. Any issues with Win32lib, need to be brought up with the development team working on it. Which currently, I don't know who is working on it. Sorry.

The documentation does need a lot of fixing up before final release, hopefully we'll be able to get clearer documentation out, so that people will be able to understand what is going on. Any documentation errors, or examples given in the documentation that don't work, please make sure to create a ticket for it. But do not refer to the 3.11 documentation for 4.0, as the 3.11 documentation is way out of date, and many new features, and functions have been added, as well as a major re-organization of the included standard library.

hth,

Mario

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu