Re: Web Programming

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
AndySerpa said...

I have a commercial t-shirt site that's been running on Eu for years, although it is about to get replaced with Python/Django in a few weeks. Originally I even used the eu database for my backend (database needs were lightweight), but I found it too slow, not so much in the serving of pages but in the db update stage, so I now I use Sqlite which is a good fit for Euphoria cause it doesn't adhere to strict types (plus queries are much easier). Euphoria's main weakness has always been not enough people use it. Other open-source languages have libraries of books about them, etc. Also it is bit behind the times in terms of multi-threading, object-oriented features, and now it needs a 64-bit version...

64-bit is all but done, Matt can comment on that. As for being slow... I have sample web apps that dish out about 2,000 requests a second in Euphoria using the same web framework that powers this site here. Euphoria translates into C code and creates some very fast web applications. I don't use CGI as that's too slow, I use SCGI. This also removes the thread issue that you are speaking about because there will be, say, 10 Euphoria apps just waiting for a web hit to come across to it. Apache serves up the static HTML, images and JavaScript and then when something dynamic is queried, it passes it off to an already running, already connected to the database application written in Euphoria via mod_scgi.

If you're running a high-load server, it's the way to go.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu