Re: new libraries to access serial ports

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
coconut said...
lpuster said...

Your library works well for me, except for one thing: If I try to read the input stream when there are no bytes in the buffer, the whole computer locks up waiting for data.

How can I test to see if the input buffer is empty or not?

There must be a way to do it, as every terminal program waits for input and displays it whenever it comes without locking up. Can I hook into the serial port interrupt chain?

Hi! lpuster,

Both libraries, the windows version and the linux version, have provision for timing out. I didn't used that code for over 1 year so I don't remember the details, but I'm sure you can read the source code as well as me.

regards, Jacques d.

Hi,

Thanks Jacques for your library. I have been using it with success to test some devices.

Maybe this could help (tested in Windows XP):

include serial.ew 
include get.e 
include misc.e 

object val 
integer port, a 
atom hCom1 

constant MAXDWORD=#FFFFFFFF 
constant ESC=27 

port = 1				-- ADJUST TO YOUR PORT 

hCom1 = serial_open(port) 
if hCom1 < 0 then 
	printf(1,"Error opening port %d.\n\n",port) 
	abort(1) 
end if 
-- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363190%28v=VS.85%29.aspx 
-- A value of MAXDWORD, combined with zero values for both the ReadTotalTimeoutConstant and ReadTotalTimeoutMultiplier  members, 
-- specifies that the read operation is to return immediately with the bytes that have already been received, 
-- even if no bytes have been received. 
SetCommTimeouts(hCom1,{MAXDWORD,0,0,0,0}) 
SetCommState(hCom1, "baud:9600;parity:none;bits:8;stop:1;control:none") 

puts(1,"1) Connect TX and RX (loopback) (pins 2 and 3 in the DB9 connector).\n" & 
       "2) Every key you hit will be send and received by serial port and echoed to the screen.\n" & 
       "3) ESC abort.\n") 
PurgeComm(hCom1,PURGE_RXCLEAR) 
while 1 do 
	a = get_key() 
	if a != -1 then 
		if a = ESC then 
			puts(1,"\nAborted!\n") 
			abort(0) 
		end if 
		serial_puts(hCom1, a)				-- SEND KEY CODE TO SERIAL PORT 
	end if 
	val = serial_getc(hCom1) 
	if val != -1 then 
		puts(1,val) 
	end if 
end while 

P.S.: I had to define MAXDWORD since it's not defined as global in serial.ew.

Regards,
Fernando

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu