Re: Database Battle to the Death

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Bellthorpe said...
CoJaBo said...

EDB is lightweight but is not at all robust.

Can you expand on what you mean by not robust? I've been using EDB for some years in production applications, with tens of millions of records, without one single failure.

EDS does not (yet) support transactioning, which means that if the application crashes during a write to the database, it may leave the database file corrupted. This is a highly unlikely event but if you are running a mission critical app then this is a risk that might not be acceptable. In database jargon, transactioning ensures that a commit to the database will either be totally successful or have no effect, thus you cannot get a partial transaction recorded in the database - even if the application crashes during the commit.

Bellthorpe said...
CoJaBo said...

MySQL is best for anything that requires a high level of multiple access (e.g. web app).

I also use EDB for CGI applications, some of which have reasonable traffic (tens of thousands of visitors a day). The locking mechanism is sound, and again I've never had a data access failure.

I'm not suggesting that it's perfect for all uses. And I don't try to use it in any 'relational' way. I'm suggesting however that it's sometimes under-rated.

I agree, it is under-rated but it does have some 'api' issue which we will address, to make it easier to use. Also, it does load the complete index for the current table into RAM, which is 4 bytes per record minimum.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu