Open Call for DOS Developers

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Forked from Re: Version 4.1.4b No Longer Supports Dos

DerekParnell said...
bugfinder said...

I had a lot of code written for 4.0 that I dropped because of the loss of DOS support.

The source code is open source. Anyone can take a copy of the code and modify it for their own needs. You can get the v3 code and add in the stuff you like about v4 or get the v4 code and add DOS support. No one is preventing you from doing that.

The main reason we dropped DOS support is that we have no developers that are willing to support it. If you can get someone who wants to take on that workload they are welcome to join the dev team.

DOS support was not dropped because we don't like DOS. As Microsoft advances Windows, it is becoming harder to implement the DOS code in modern Windows systems, and it will soon get to the point where you will only be able to run DOS applications - regardless of which computer language is used - on old (unsupported) versions of Windows or DOS.

There other solutions ... anyone know of someone who can join the team to support DOS?

I'm going to go further. I am now asking for anyone who is interested in doing the work of reviving DOS support in v4 of Euphoria, to come forward.

The latest version of Euphoria to support DOS is located here (older than v4b2)

https://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/rapideuphoria/dos/trunk/

The complete source code.

For convenience, you can download a complete tarball of the DOS Euphoria source code here:

http://rapideuphoria.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rapideuphoria/dos/trunk.tar.gz?view=tar

Now, the current dev team has been so busy that we haven't been able to even keep the DOS Euphoria code in sync and up to date with the latest changes in main Euphoria. We also know of one significant bug with DOS Euphoria that has not been fixed (using call_back() in DOS will cause a machine level exception). It was the inability of any person to solve that bug that led to the entire dev team realizing that maintaining DOS Euphoria was no longer feasible.

I am willing to accept patches to the DOS Euphoria code, either to bring the branch back in sync with the current Euphoria v4 line, or to fix the call_back() bug and other bugs discovered in the DOS branch that are specific to the DOS code.

Now, I want to go further, and propose the creation of a DOS development team - part of but also separate from the main dev team, one that is dedicated to maintaining and improving the DOS Euphoria code. However, before I take that drastic step, I need to know that such a measure is feasible. No DOS development team can exist if we have no one able and willing to do the DOS development.

If you are interested in joining this effort, all you have to do is download the source code and start coding.

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu