Re: Help needed with walk_dir()

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
hacker said...

You say that routine_id() is "sort of" a pointer to a function, is this how it is actually implemented in the C source code for Euphoria?

It's a pointer in that it "points to" your routine. It does not refer to a particular place in memory (which is what is commonly meant when someone talks about a pointer). Effectively, you could think of it where the back end maintains a list of the routines, and the routine id is the index into that list. It's basically equivalent to:

procedure foo() 
    -- ...do stuff 
end procedure 

procedure bar() 
    -- ...do stuff 
end procedure 

procedure baz() 
    -- ...do stuff 
end procedure 

sequence ROUTINES = {"foo", "bar", "baz"} 

function my_routine_id( sequence name ) 
    return find( name, ROUTINES ) 
end function 

procedure my_call_proc( integer id ) 
    if id = 1 then 
        foo() 
    elsif id = 2 then 
        bar() 
    elseif id = 3 then 
        baz() 
    else 
        -- crash, bad routine id! 
    end if 
end procedure 

integer foo_id 
foo_id = my_routine_id("foo") 

my_call_proc( foo_id ) 

hacker said...

I have to confess this is making my head hurt, but I'd really like to understand it. I'm not going to attempt reading the source code, but I have a book on C which has been gathering dust on my shelf for years, time to take a look at it I think. I know that "The C Programming Language" is highly recommended, but maybe tough going for newbies like me...

You can also get a better feel by looking at the euphoria based back end. It's still pretty dense, and not terribly easy to jump right into, but there is an implementation of routine id built in pure euphoria in there.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu