Linux eubins and console colours

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Hi

eubins since 3066 to 3081 seem to be empty (check the file size on http://jeremy.cowgar.com/eubins/linux/ unless they have been moved somehere else)

I can report also that something has gone very wrong with console colours somewhere between r2670 and r3066. It seems to be quite similar to the OSX issue, which is why I wanted to look at that thres. (I got into it by searching for graphcst.e)

Console colours on Linux have normal and bright settings, for instance WHITE and BRIGHT_WHITE, BROWN and YELLOW. Call them normal and bright. Blinking has never worked for me on Linux. Not too worried about that.

There are differnces in consoles - it would appear that older consolse are affected, and more recent ones are not - this is why it took me by surprise. I have not done an update of the vet program since October, and when I did half the screen had vanished on some computers.

Using the colortest program appearing in the thread, using the latest one in the thread, r2670 produces the whole colour range, normal and bright on all varieties of console. However r3066 (the latest viable one on eubins) only produces the normal colours - the bright colours appear blank.

I have checked with the r2670 includes and latest includes (swapping all combos around), and the includes do not seem to make a difference. The conclusion would be that somewhere along the development the way the console is handled has changed.

Testing was done on Xubuntu 8.10 (all worked) and puppy 2.12 (r3066 produced the error, 2670 did not)

You may say update your consoles to more modern ones, but this is not the point. The point of using a console program is to allow old hardware to be use, which may not run a more modern distribution.

Is there any chance that the way the console was handled could be reverted to the working version - while not 'broken' it does mean that I will have to stay with r2670 until the issue is 'fixed'

Chheers

Chris

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu