Re: Win32Lib getUserName() problem

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
AndyDrummond said...

Jim,

When Windows XP creates a user, it creates a folder inside which is everything that user has for himself. He also has a Name. For convenience that folder name is made equal to the first Name used. Thereafter if he changes his Name, the folder name is unchanged. You see I differentiate between the general word name and the word Name which is just, as in the old CB days, a handle. It is this handle I want(ed) to get. But the USERNAME as shown in the environment variables is the name of the folder. The folder name and any of the user Names may have spaces in if desired; I don't think that is an issue. And a user can change his Name as often as he likes.

This seems clear and consistent to me - but I wrote it! I know what I want to say. Everyone else has to read my words to get that information, and I just hope that they get the same information as I'm trying to convey.

If I have failed again then I will just retire from the fray as a failed communicator. It won't offend me, as long as I don't offend you. So Happy Christmas, or as I gather you say over the pond, Happy Holiday.

Andy

This summary not clears up the confusion from your previous posts, but it is also consistent with my understanding of XP's usernames, gleaned from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283111 . What threw me off was that you said the name of the folder in Documents and Settings was Andrew but the USERNAME environment variable was set to Andy Drummond.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu