Re: Is Windows testing of Eu 40B2 adequate?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
alanjohnoxley said...

Hi Derek, I disagree. In practice, because win32lib for EU4 is nor working yet, I moved back to EU3.1.1. So I don't try EU4 anymore, therefore I am not testing it am I? Win32lib is *very* popular - remember the votes/money it attracted! How many Euphoria users rely on win32lib, versus other "nice to haves"? Sorry to point this out, and I am not trying to pick on anyone, but eg a new database access method is going to be used by how many, compared to win32lib? Worth pointing out too, is that the new database etc may never be tested by me, simply because I am not on EU4! IMHO, I am not the only one!

Yes, I know there are other wrappers - cross platform too. Bottom line though, what are most users using, and are most users, actual users or have the patience for testing ? Biggest bang for the buck (euphoria progress) is a EU4 win32lib.

Hi

I actually partly agree with this, and partly disagree. The 'biggest bang for the buck' is going to be euphoria + win32 lib + IDE - this is what is going to attract the vast majority of users, and its a shame that the initialisation speed is so slow, and that there are one or two problems with namespaces, and routine positionings, and token name changes.

I was originally against all the sweeping changes that were made (speed was my greatest concern), but I have since upgraded my veterinary database (about 6 months ago now) to eu4 now, with no performance degradation, and many 'ease of coding improvements' - for me this is the biggest plus.

Personally I would not go back. I would urge you (and other frustrated users like yourself) to have patience with the sterling work the developers are doing to advance our language, because once you start to to use the 'nice to haves' (I wouldn't do without eu.cfg now), you will start to realise that these are what made euphoria desirable in the first place.

Incidentally, I use the precompiled ide (compiled 3.1.1 I think) to write the small programs that I occasionally do, with eu4 and win32lib 0.70.4a, and (touch wood) this setup works fine. I still use the old standard includes, and the new incudes (horror), but I'm happy.

Chris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu