Re: FTP Routines - help, please

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ghaberek said...

Post your questions here and we will all do our best to answer them.

I suggest moving your project entirely to wxEuphoria. That way you have only one library to deal with instead of two or four or however many. Your program will also be almost inherently cross-platform, which leaves that door open, even if you don't plan on using it right now.

Don't stress out. Programming should be enjoyable. Just take your time, ask lots of questions, and try to figure things out one at a time rather than all at once.

-Greg

Greg,

Yes, programming should be fun. Well, it IS fun, but 95% of my coding is not for PC, and of that I have managed to avoid network coding till now. Now I have a large database program which programs an external module via USB, and suddenly it has become desirable for our config data to be held on our server here. That has FTP access for remote access to files etc, using FileZilla client, which is fine. But I want to give configurators access to get and put config files without allowing any other access. All quite straigtforward providing I have a library of ftp routines to give remote access. But despite ftp being ages old, there doesn't seem to be a coherent set of routines.

I am using Wininet.dll functions, but they don't include such unusual and esoteric functions as "dir", or so it seems. So I have to use the FTP command LIST, which works. What I don't understand is that I seem to have to open access with my IP address, username and password, do one thing, and then close the handle. I then repeat the performance for the next task. This strikes me as being besically wrong, of course. it works, but it is slow, and probably flakey in customer use.

I could rewrite the whole thing in wxEuphoria, given about a year to get to grips with it having spent years and years with Win32Lib and Judith's wonderful IDE, so that is not on. I could write a stand-alone ftp program in wxEu, to find, open and return a file, and to put it, but even then the same problem applies.

I started on DOS programming at DOS 3. Then DOS 5, 6, Win3, Win95, Win98, and now on WinXP, changing from C to Euphoria about 8 years ago. So my memory banks are about stuffed with techniques and editors and compilers and IDEs and whatnot. And PC coding is not even my main job So thanks for your help and encouragement. I am interested to see where this all goes now. Will Eu4 have a set of FTP routines built in? Will there be a library of FTP routines? I expect so, but I don't even have time to pore over the dox to see....... tempus fugit.

Andy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu