Re: AVI to GIF converter for Windows

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mic_ said...

Quick link for people who don't like to read: http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/avi2gif-1.zip

The other day I wanted to create a GIF anim from a short part of an AVI, so I started searching for a program that would do that for me. Most of the programs I could find were ones that cost money though, which I found odd because it seemed like a relatively easy thing to do. Now, surely there must be some free programs like this but I didn't have the patience to go through all the search results.

So yesterday I started writing a program for this myself, and now the first version is done. It's very minimalistic so far; it's a command line application and only has a few options, such as starting frame, length, playback delay etc. There's not a whole lot of error checking either.

Since it uses VFW for video decoding you need to have the necessary codecs installed for whatever AVI you want to convert. A possible improvement for the future might be to add support for AVS files using AVISynth, so that you can read MPEG files, as well as getting access to all the AVISynth filters.

I've submitted the program to the archive - in the meantime you can get it from the link at the top of this post.

Another improvment would to be to add a GUI, making it easier for noobs. But nice work. This will come in handy for quite a few people.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu