Re: Eu website

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
useless said...

You mean delete this?

http://imagebin.org/61278

Hm. I know things like that have happened and it's no reason not to use Creole! Just because it has 1 bug does not mean it's a bad product. I think you are totally missing the point of Creole and the point of a wiki. A wiki is meant to be editable by all people fast. Please read what a Wiki is.

Now, the current bug with Creole (and the forum) is that it does not fully validate the input. So, it allows the mis-use of it's syntax. For instance, if you enter {{{ with out an ending }}}, it'll mess up, but you know what? If we allowed HTML, if you entered <div> and forgot a </div> then you would wind up with the *exact* thing your screen shot it showing!

Further, the purpose of a wiki is not precision publishing, it's quick publishing. Further, the purpose of creole is to publish into many formats. We can take a creole file and publish into HTML, Text, PDF, OpenOffice, LaTeX, LOut, Troff, Groff or one of a hundred different formats all from one source.

Further, creole creates a consistent web site. If you allow 5 people to create HTML, they will all do it differently. One person will do: <div style="font-size: 20pt">Section Header</div>. Another will do <h1>Section Header</h1>, another will do <p><strong>Section Header</strong></p>. Creole solves all of those problems. How? Everyone does == Section Header and creole controls the output.

Creole is the *proper* thing to do, not HTML. A Wiki is the proper thing to do for main Euphoria content, not raw HTML. I do not forsee us ever allowing normal HTML, nor a normal HTML page. Creole will only get better. Allowing the use of HTML will only get worse as more people edit it. Creole is the right thing to do.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu