Re: The NickFrac screensaver, or How I Broke My Brain

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
prickle said...

Hi Andy. The reason I did it like that is because the program doesn't use any backing store or screen buffer. The output of the engine is drawn straight to the visual and is destroyed if anything moves over the top of it, like another window or progress bar or something. Fractals went faster that way. This is why the screen is "captured" with little red bars rather than the image being instantly available to save.

I do not have a good knowledge of the Windows API, there may be some much better way to do this. What I think it means though is any visual feedback we give the user at the point they press Ctrl-S will damage part of the image. Not wanting that to happen, we need to simply sit and wait for the fractal to finish before capturing it. Wondering what's going on, the user presses the key again. and again, mashing the keyboard in a frenzy of impatience. Suddenly, dozens of save-as windows appear and the computer crashes. Well, maybe not, but I can't think of a good way. Any ideas?

What I did back when I still used Windows was crank the iterations up by a factor of ten or more on the chaotic fractals like the IFSs and the Strange types so they ran much longer to give me a a better chance of capturing one I liked and turned all the boring ones off. I was thinking of updating the defaults, they were set back in '02 when life was slower but I keep forgetting. Each chaotic fractal type was intended to linger for up to a minute. On a modern machine they probably skip by a bit too quick.

Hmm. not sure. Perhaps if I captured every fractal when it was finished and kept the last ten in a directory somewhere?

Here's to not working,

Nick

Nick, I understand what you're saying. The best method, IMHO, is to capture the fractal at its completion, so that ctrl-S will save the last completed one. But isn't it like hard work to copy the screen image? I don't know how you're accessing the screen pixel-by-pixel, but it is B quick, so I guess you could read it all quickly too and save in memory. Then the ctrl-S would just bring up an instant getSaveFile menu. Maybe a different command? I don't know, I just think that this is an interesting and absorbing way of not working and it'd be nice to get some of the best looking fractals used as wallpaper or maybe printed. Printing, of course, means either negativeing the image or turning all the true black pixels into white, otherwise it eats all your toner when printing!

If you kept the last ten, you'd need a system for thumbnail display so you could select the one you wanted to save permanently. It could be a lot of work, and I'm loathe to put work out anybody's way....

Anyway, it all runs nicely, thank you, I will now see how long it takes to invent anti-grav or maybe to do my job without working!

Andy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu