Memory usage on Win32: Euphoria usage vs. what Task Manager displays

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Maybe I'm just worried/curious about stuff that doesn't matter, but in the interest of "running a tight ship", I'm trying to figure out why what I see in Windows Task Manager doesn't seem to match up with what I would expect, so I'm wondering if someone could explain to me some basics of how Euphoria uses and releases memory, and how I can "force" it to take it or give it back, etc.

I realize that part of the issue may have to do with the way Task Manager reports memory usage, so any insights on that would help too.

A few examples:

1) I have some code where I explicitly allocate 32 MB of memory, but it doesn't show up in Task Manager. Does Task Manager not show you allocated memory, but rather only what is actually being used of that allocated memory?

2) I have another bit of code that loads a file and does some work with it. When I'm done, I want to be able to free up the extra space, so I say: mybigvar = {}. The first such statement produces NO effect whatsoever in Task Manager. The second such statement (e.g. myotherbigvar = {}) produces a small decrease (a couple hundred KB) which is well under the size of either of these variables.

3) Same example as #2, but with memory, not sequences. The file data itself was in a memory buffer, which I free, but doing so produces NO corresponding effect in Task Manager, though I'd expect to see a drop of about 500 KB.

new topic     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu