Re: Database with Images?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
lockiedownunder said...

Gday all, I haven't done any programming in EU for about 3 years, but I'm sure it will come back to me (I Hope).

Anyway I want to write a database with around 800 records. Each record will contain around 15 text fields no bigy so far. There will be one table of images. Probably around 3 or four images per record in the main table. Each image at the moment is around 1mb.

I want the images in the database as they are of a high security nature and I must restrict who can view them.

Any Suggestions? Should I even be using EU?

Using Euphoria is fine for this.

I assume that it would be possible that the same image can be associated with more than one record. That is, you haven't got 800 * 4 = 3200 unique 1mb images.

How do you see the user accessing the images? For example, will a user select a record, enter the password for that record and then be shown the images? Or will there be one password for the entire database? Or is it one password for a user and that gives them accss to only a subset of images. So in summary, is a password linked to the database, the user or the image?

I think it would be better to have the images (encrypted) in a folder and have the database records just contain a link to the image on disk.

There is encryption/decryption code in Euphoria available so that's not a real issue. I assume that the decrypted data must only reside in RAM and never on disk. Depending on how important it is that the decrypted image be protected, you might even want to consider a novel encoding format for the image so that commonly availble tools can't even display the decrypted image anyway.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu