Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
kinz said...

My idea was and is simple.

Agreed.

kinz said...

And Russian version of 'then' keyword, 'to', is good in "if...end if" construct only. It probably will require new keywords for using in other constructs.

Ugh! That could be an issue. Even if we can get english eu 4.0 to move to switch..on or some other syntax, case..then will probably be kept. (It makes perfect sense as an english speaker.)

kinz said...

I'm not sure about that 'switch ... on' for BEu anymore, sorry.

switch...on only makes sense with case...then.

kinz said...

First of all, to give some concrete try to your too elastic suggestion "switch ... on" for Bilingual Euphoria - BEu for short - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_L5qaen3Zg smile

I don't like watching youtube.

kinz said...

If you read my previous posts on this subject, there are some suggestions from BEu side to English syntax.

switch_on X   
    case a ?1  
    case b ?2  
    else   ?3  
end switch_on 

perekluchatt_po X      -- literal translation - from railway, electric circuits etc areas 
           kogda a ?1  -- 'when', literal translation - v_sluchae 
           kogda b ?2  -- 'when', maybe, just 'if' is good here???  
           inache  ?3  -- literal translation 
stop perekluchatt_po 

The new example above looks good for BEu. Without 'switch_' part, it looks more compactly.

This is very similar to Yuri's proposed optional then-do:

if a 
  ?2 
else 
  ?3 
end if 

while c 
 ? 1 
end while 

Which was emphatically rejected on EUforum. :/

kinz said...

So, let's think, guys...
Code of BEu, saved in English mode, seems to work on 4.0, I'll try it later on.
My vegetable garden waits me already, sorry. smile

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz@peterlink.ru

The underlying guideline for Euphoria, even EU 4.0, is that syntax must as closely as possible match English. The syntax sugar exists to make it easier for native English speakers to understand and pick up faster.

Applying that guideline for Russian, we can see that the syntax of Russian Euphoria must as closely as possible match Russian. It must make it easier for native Russian speakers to understand and pick up fastly.

Since a lot of the new 4.0 syntax is decidedly ugly to translate to Russian, the Russian version should break away from the English syntax when necessary in favor of forms that are more easily understood in Russian.

Therefore I really like this BEu idea. Having a separate parser for each language, so the syntax matches the native grammar best.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu