Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

I had prefered switch...on over the current switch...do syntax (and I would still prefer it), but I lost out on this one.

However, this gives me a new argument for switch...do. Since the official version of Russian Euphoria translated do into cykl, and this was considered an official version, we are now stuck with that translation. We can't ask kinz to change that to a different word anymore than he could ask us to change all instances of 'for...do' to 'each...do'. He has to keep cykl as the keyword for backwards compatibility. Good idea or not, mistake or not, mistranslation or not, wrong semantics or not... we are stuck with them.

Bilingual EU 2.5 is still beta, so you are free to do what you want.

jimcbrown said...

It seems the best way to translate loop...do {} end loop in Russian, would be to translate it into cykl...cykl {} russian-word-for-end cykl.

I agree that switch..cykl is a bit weird. I recommend that you take the english word "on" from switch...on and translate that into Russian, and then use that Russian word with switch, instead of cykl.

Then, english version of

switch ... do

end switch

would become

russian-word-switch ... russian-word-on

russian-word-end russian-word-switch

Thanks jimcbrown for suggestions, but I'd prefer to discuss these things with Russian speaking guy. EU 4.0 is not comfortable for bilingual English-Russian version, sorry.

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz@peterlink.ru

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu