Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
kinz said...
mattlewis said...
kinz said...
DerekParnell said...

if the previous statement is not a looping construct, the "do" marks the begining of a non-looping block. Actually to be very consistent we should be using the syntax ...

if condition do 
  block 
end if 

Wait a minute ... Where did you see if condition do?
The standard Euphoria doesn't have that, it has then marker here, to in Russian mode. And it is very good. In C we have { for all at all markers of begining.

You misread what he said. He said that to be perfectly consistent, we'd have if-do blocks instead of if-then blocks. I think the usage of 'then' is largely historical, from BASIC dialects, and is pretty widely understood.

Do not explain me "what he said", please. I just can not believe that if-do is his own invention for future Euphoria, and reask him.
<snip>

Regards,
Igor Kachan
kinz@peterlink.ru

Igor,

The reason Matt is explaining what Derek said is because, I think, you are misunderstanding what Derek said in this instance. Derek is in no way saying that if-do is "his own invention for future Euphoria". He is not suggesting that if-do should replace if-then.

if-do is an hypothetical example that he did invent to acknowledge that if Euphoria were to strictly follow the idea he is presenting that "...the "do" marks the begining of a non-looping block", then, since an if-then statement is not a LOOPING block, it "should", technically, be if-do.

But since the if-then usage and meaning is historically very clear to most programmers, there would be no good reason to change it to if-do just to be consistent with the use of "do" to mark the beginning of a non-looping block.

Just trying to clarify what I think is a misunderstanding on your part, not trying to teach a sly bear how to catch a slippery fish. blink

Dan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu