Re: New switch/case idea

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
shfrance said...

"In standard Euphoria, the word "do" does imply namely the looping or cyclic actions, it is used only in cyclic constructs and nowhere else."

You are correct. Standard Euphoria of the past did not use "do" to the full extent of it's meaning.

"do" also implies a beginning of an action, as well as the performing of an action.

I think it's possible confusing "while x do" possibly being a cycle. Overall, it likely is a cycle, but "do" isn't the cycle. Euphorum has discussed replacing "do" with "then" or even making "do" or "then" be the same word, allowing "while x then" or "if x do". The only explicit loop name is "repeat", and Euphoria has no "if x repeat-until".

I don't know Russian language, i think English is hard enough to understand when two words mean almost the same and some words mean the opposite of the other meaning for the same word. If Kinz has two words to use for "then" and "do", and they are opposed to the "conventional" way of doing things, humans there will make fun of him, deride him, and not deride Euphoria. Especially if it's taught in Russian schools that "do" is English for a "while" cycle start, like "goto" is taught as being bad.

Speaking of such, Kinz, "while x" = "test x again". It might not be a loop. This is why some want to use "then" and "do" in same place, because they really mean the same thing in programming. Different English words are used to make English people happy, they simply want to say words with that placement. In Russian, perhaps you can use the same word!

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu