Re: The Archive and version compatability

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...

Agreed, there is no need to get emotional about such a trivial aspect.

Except declining my experience says my experience is worthless too. I have never run into a site where sending the hostname in the refer tag caused the webpage to not arrive. I would not have gone to the trouble of coding the default, if it wasn't needed, and i wouldn't have coded it if i had run into a site where it was a problem.

The rfc says the refer shouldn't be sent if the originating site isn't known, like if the user typed the url in from the keybd having never been to the host domain. It doesn't suggest anything more than that. And the entire document is a suggestion, it's a request for comments, it's not a strict standard, and there's a number of non-standards in wide use, like MS's IE. But if you are browsing around a site, then the host is indeed the origin of the urls you are clicking on. Rfc2616 wording on refer is identical to rfc2068 in this regard. It does not prohibit sending the source site of the url if you know it, it suggests you do send it. It doesn't mandate it be sent at all, ever, but some sites demand it, so i coded it.

useless

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu