Re: The Archive and version compatability

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
bernie said...

Some code 2.5 and before is shrouded how are you going to deal with that.

Who is going to go through all the code in the archive and decide what version it's for and try it and mark it??

Who is going to spend the hours of answering questions about how to change the old code to work with ver 4.

As for me I am writing new code for ver 4.0 to take advantage of the new features and pulling my old code from the archive.

I think your creating a lot of work that no one is going to volunteer to perform.

I am not at all suggesting that we mark previous entries or even try to categorize previous entries in any systematic way. What I am suggesting is code that we are writing today, tomorrow and the next day have some type of standard tagging on it. I have written code that works in 4.0 and 3.1. If it were of general use and I upload it to the archive tomorrow, I want to be able to specify that it works in 3.1 and 4.0 with some type of common tag.

Now, what was discussed in the past was if you downloaded a library from the archive that looked nice and it didn't work on 4.0, then you should have been able to click a button on the entry in the archive that said "Does not work in 4.0" or something to that effect, so that others would know as well, but that idea has been canned as the the archive script will not be updated.

I am in no way suggesting anyone go back and try to update everything or even mark everything. I am specifically stating about from today forward.

Now, who is going to answer questions on converting code from 3.x to 4.0? I hope everyone on the forum. We all have code in 3.1 that is going to need to be converted. Not from the archive at all, our own personal code. I would venture to say we are all going to get pretty good about updating 3.x code to 4.0.

Jeremy

P.S. The \\ in your messages is not required and should not be used. Just type away, the forum will word wrap the text for each persons browser width. When you want to start a new paragraph, leave an empty line between the previous sentence.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu