Re: switch statement

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

I did some google searches for buggy C switch and really didn't find anything but I did find a quote on the page of PHP's switch statement (which works just like ours, and most other switch statements):

php switch page said...

Where the switch statement wins out over an "if/elseif/else" block is it's ability to "fall though" to instructions in following cases until a break is encountered. Coding something similiar using "if/elseif/else" statements could get really messy and buggy really fast depending on the switch statement.

http://us2.php.net/switch

I tend to agree. That's why it was designed the way it is. There has been talk of implementing a select statement, but it didn't go very far for 4.0 as our plates have been full for a while. I, personally, do not see the reason for it, but others may enjoy not having to type break.

Oh, the php page does a good job of explaining switch, it's a good read for anyone interested.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu