Re: 4.0a3 - Two Regular Expression Libraries? -- We need your input!

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jimcbrown said...
jeremy said...

The downside to your suggestion is now that for my program to work, I must distribute my exe, as well as a gob of dll files to go along with it. This is fine for accessories, but regex was decided long ago to be an essential due to it's general use and lack of 50 different ways of doing it.

First, lets recognize that is a Windows-centric issue. Linux/GNU, FreeBSD, and OS X simply don't have this issue because they will generally include the regex libs by default.

I'll give you that, however, now on Linux, FreeBSD, OS X we have to deal with what version of PCRE are we dealing with? Thus, more complications. I am all for doing what thousands of programmers have already decided was the best way of handling it and including regex in Euphoria.

For instance, there are string libraries and math libraries, many much better than what Euphoria has. Why not strip any string processing from Euphoria and any math functions from Euphoria as well? Those libs are much better and on Linux, FreeBSD, OS X many of them are included.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu