Re: Euphoria vs. other programming languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
CChris said...
mattlewis said...
CChris said...

Further, even though the "global" keyword has been left in, its semantics have changed, to the effect of breaking most complex libraries available. win32lib is perhaps the most obvious example.

I've used Win32Lib with 4.0. So have others. Perhaps the example isn't as obvious as you think.

R. Stowasser has posted many instances of problems. The way w32start.ew works now is at best unpredictable, and it is central to the proper working of newUIObj().

Hi Chris,

actually I do not quite understand you. I once wrote to you that this quarrel is academic and that there are more ways to reach a goal. Many ways lead to Rome. If I report a problem then because I use Eu 4.0, because it is alpha, because I do not find a workaround for myself and because I trust into the development team. If I had your knowledge and your capabilities I would try to offer a solution myself. Really.

Btw I would not insist on full compatibility between Eu 4.0 and 3.1.1 applications. Other languages do this neither with their versions. To port programs from 3.1.1 to 4.0 you have to change some keywords anyway. (label, entry, continue, switch, break). I will not use global with Eu 4.0. And to be honest I would deprecate the use of global in Eu4.0 at all. Using the public and export keywords seem to be the better strategy to test and maintain separate modules / libraries. I do run my include files with exw/exwc to see if there are error messages. And although I like IDE and Win32lib they are also good examples in my opinion that they could be improved in Eu 4.0 only by using public and export. This would lead to a different structure of the include files, but I think this would also help to test and maintain the individual modules more effectively.

Roland

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu