Re: Euphoria vs. other programming languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Tom said...

Thanks CChris, I need as many viewpoints as possible to improve the documentation.

"Elegant" is a loaded word. Clearly I will need to do some thinking as how best to defend such a viewpoint.

I used to enjoy Pascal but decided ( ; ) line endings were not to my taste.

A single unshifted key, and it helps the compiler understand stuff which is more natural for humans. But of course whether a tradeoff is appropriate or not starts becoming very subjective.

Tom said...

At the moment I have compared Euphoria to Lua and Python. When I try examples in those languages and make mistakes the error messages can be very confusing to merelative to Euphoria.

I like the simplicity of Euphoria because pointers and PBR are not part of the language. This is "elegant" for me in a high level language.

I dislike the ugliness of programming when you have to pass some state around routine chunks. Sequence indexes and access to RAM addresses (if only it was faster) may be consider a decent alternative to pointers. But not for PBR.

Tom said...

I do not understand your requirements for variables and scope.

Ability to tell where a symbol is defined from, or where it will be seen from, with as little a earch overhead as possible, and as much certainty as possible. Eu 4.0 is even worse than 3.1.1 in that respect.

Tom said...

A slick windows gui may be nice, but how do you go about creating one?

Please check the Visual Euphoria project in the archive. As a mentioned, it is only a first step. I had strongly enhanced it, but lost some of the files in a HD crash, and didn't spend much time trying to get it to work again. spent_memory hat dodo doubt com doubt au may have the only working copy left, but hasn't replied to my requests to send one back.

BTW Critic is not an alias for me, nor the other way round. We simply seem to agree on many issues.

CChris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu