Re: Swig for Euphoria

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...
jeremy said...

Matt, why not use swig to wrap wxWidgets?

The C code of wxEuphoria does more than simply provide a C interface. It also converts data types (especially sequences to wxStrings). There are some things that are easier to do with C than with euphoria code when dealing with wxWidgets, and that's where the hand-written C comes in.

At one point, I did look at using Swig, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to get it to do what I wanted (I don't recall the details at this point).

Also, wxWidgets (being C) is object-oriented, while Euphoria is not. wxEuphoria removes the "object-oriented-ness" from wxWidgets by abstracting it to regular functions and pointer-variables. I think this would be harder to do with SWIG, at least without ending up with a bunch of wxObjectName_FunctionName() type routines. There's quite a few all-in-one routines in wxEuphoria, like get/set_selection().

I may not be [much of] a C programmer, but I can certainly appreciate the hand-coded abstraction in wxEuphoria. blink

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu