Re: Euphoria vs. other programming languages

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Critic said...
eudoc said...
  • RDS has developed a flexible and simple database system (EDS) that is portable across all Euphoria platforms.

EDS is embarassing, if you ask me.

I want to address this statement in particular. The point of EDS is that it is, as the document states, flexible and simple. At its core, EDS is nothing more than an efficient way to store Euphoria objects on disk. Other languages may offer this functionality, but hardly without the grace and simplicity (and low-level compression) of EDS (I'm thinking of Python's "pickling").

Critic said...

The implementation uses binary search? Give me a break.

What's wrong with binary search? It's rather fast on small data sets, and is proportionally faster as data sets grow than many other search methods (especially linear search). Larger database systems like MySQL use B-trees, which are better fit for large sets of (seemingly) unorganized data (which is what MySQL is aimed at, anyway). EDS always stores data in sorted order, so binary search works great for what we need.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu