Re: 64bit support

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...

While there are plenty of things that can be done, especially in open source operating systems like Linux, it's only within the last week or so (IIRC) that Adobe released a 64-bit version for Linux. Still no 64-bit joy for other OSes, AFAIK.

True, but that is somewhat justified as Flash includes a just-in-time-compiler. But you are right.

mattlewis said...

Most of what I've heard about Windows 64-bit sounds disastrous for typical desktop usage (largely stemming from driver availability and quality issues).

I agree. Win64 is pretty crappy.

mattlewis said...

I certainly agree with you regarding DOS, but others don't. In any case, I don't see DOS support taking away from potential 64-bit support (nor from support of other 32-bit OSes). DOS will be supported as long as there is someone willing to put in the time.

Of course this is fine. But I suggest someone changes the homepage to de-emphasize (is that an English word?) DOS support and its lack of 640K memory limitations. In particular the sentence "The DOS version has been used to create many high-speed action games, complete with Sound Blaster sound effects" sounds like Euphoria is pretty archaic. And that Euphoria is the "34th most popular language" does not sound like good advertisement either IMHO.

mattlewis said...

In the sense that it isn't easily upgraded to 64-bits, I guess I'd agree with you, but it does what it was meant to do remarkably well--for the last 16 years or so.

Sorry, what does it do remarkably well? And please don't mention its performance: Even with the copy-on-write-optimization Euphoria copies sequences way to often, at least in the code examples I looked at (my practical experience with the language is limited). Apart from that the implementation seems to use a double indirection for accessing a sequence's element where a single indirection would suffice given the copying semantics.

Euphoria seems to be built on the mantra: "A simple programming language leads to simple programs." And this is wrong. The complexity that Euphoria avoids, pops up in the programs written in Euphoria: Missing language features need to be emulated. (The need to "peek" and "poke" to access C's structs, for example.) Sequences only allow tree-like structures, general graphs cannot be implemented that easily. And reference counting means that graphs don't have GC support. Euphoria is only simple to learn because it lacks a whole bunch of useful features IMHO.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu