Re: 64bit support

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Critic said...
jimcbrown said...

(This isn't perfect, I believe there are some 64bit values that won't fit in an atom.)

True, this is not perfect and quite frightening smile. Converting 64 bit pointers to floating point values does not seem to be a good idea. Are there any plans to change this?

Currently, Euphoria can't be built as a 64-bit application, so as far as Euphoria is concerned, there is no such thing as a 64-bit pointer. Since a double floating point only has 52-bits in the mantissa, it's correct that an atom cannot represent all 64-bit integers.

At some point in the future, I'm sure that Euphoria will be able to be built as a 64-bit application. It's impossible to say when that might happen, however. I, for one, don't have access to a 64-bit system. My personal feelings are that 64-bit desktop systems aren't ready for prime time (servers are an entirely different story). I can say that I'm not planning on making the jump to 64-bits any time soon (even without current financial constraints smile).

There is likely to be considerable work involved in porting Euphoria to 64-bits. The assumption of 32-bits is very ingrained into the code, and while it's not an impossible task to make the jump to 64-bits, it's far from trivial. And for the record, the assumptions about 32-bits are part of why euphoria is so fast.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu