Re: 4.0 and include statements

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...

In 4.0, when it parses a file, and it resolves a symbol to a global symbol in another file that wasn't included by the current file, it treats this as a forward reference, since there could be a matching symbol somewhere else either in the same file, or in another file that was included, and we don't want the errant global symbol to override the symbol the programmer actually wanted.

So when the IDE is parsed, over the entire course, it ends up with over 60,000 unique forward references (this includes things like type checks). Which really, really slows down the parsing. I went through and added include ide.exw to the files, and the parsing time was drastically reduced. Note, it would have been better to have included the specific files that were used, but this was easy, and I just wanted to see the difference.

Matt:

I still think that it would be a good idea to have some way
for a user to turn off the forward reference parsing for a
include file just like we can turn off type checking.
All the parsing is eating up start up time.

There should be no need to parse forward references in the
standard include files. I thought that was Jeremy's purpose
of having STANDARD include files that did not change.

Bernie

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu