Re: Starting project EuphoriaVista Interpreter

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
mattlewis said...
jcmarsh1 said...
  1. Most new programs targeting the MS Vista and later are meant to be written in "dot net" (.NET) a compiled executable format with a program compress inside it similar to Euphoria's *.il method. [Sun's Java uses a similar technique to produce Java class files.]

I think that MS would *like* for everyone to use .NET, but I don't think that there's any danger of native code going away. Having said that, I did have a mostly working (mostly, as in, not all features of euphoria were supported) MSIL version of ooeu working. It outputted MSIL code which used an assembly written in C# that served as the 'back-end.' It was horribly slow, due to the way I emulated euphoria's datatypes. There's probably a better way.

That's cool.

mattlewis said...
jcmarsh1 said...
  • Euphoria v3.1.1 still uses the "functionA" version of the Windows API. Many older libraries use outdated machine code that wont work on Vista.

I think you must be thinking of win32lib. It will take a fair amount of work to make it work with unicode. [shameless plusg]I'd recommend using wxEuphoria, since it already does unicode.[/plug]

Yes, I was thinking more of win32lib when I wrote about that. I have not tested wxEuphoria much (it was in early stages when I first looked at it), I will have to look at it again.

I think what I am talking about is there should be standard include files for the Windows functions that are exposed on a more primitive level so that other libraries can be more easily based on them. This might make win32lib and IDE maintenance much easier.

It would define all of the constants, a few management functions, and a bunch of definitions.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu