Re: EDS... finding records w/matching values in data not key?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
jeremy said...

I am wondering from some EDS gurus the best way to accomplish this task. I have a table that has the potential for 100,000 rows. The key is important as it links to many other tables, however, I must search this table some times by fields that are not the key. Further, these fields *will* have duplicate values through out the table. For instance, last name. There may be 20 people in the database with the same last name, but I must find them all.

I was thinking of making an "index" table, but that seems to be a bit more to maintain. How you you accomplish the task? I hate to do a for loop through the whole table. That does not sound efficient at all.

EuSQL uses an index table and allows an index to be created on any field (except for the entire keysubfields of keys are allowed). It uses associative lists with the indexed values as the 'key' and a sequence of the actual record keys as the values. After eu4.0 is released, it may change to use maps instead.

Matt

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu