Re: Palm OS?

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
gshingles said...
ghaberek said...

I recently obtained a Handspring Visor Edge. Has anyone got Euphoria running on a Palm device?

-Greg

Hi Greg

I've looked at this but it was way beyond me. I use Pixilang to mess about with algorithms etc then implement them in Euphoria on the desktop.

I would follow any Palm port of Euphoria with great interest, but I suspect that would be a long way off. Euphoria is a bit too x86centric for an easy port.

Gary

That's how it is as fast as it is.

The x86 centric part in the backend has 3 components, I'd say:

1. BigSwitch optimisations. If there is some standard use of regsters by the C compiler(s) being used for that platform, this should be straightforward. Simply get the right definitions for thread*().
  2. Multitasking. The x86 version heavvil relies on stack manipulations, and these machines don't have a builtin stack. Could be the major hurdle.
  3. callbacks. Using LDM/STM and passing parameters in a counted array could lead to a simpler implementation I believe.
  4. The bits of machine code in execute.e about callbacks will need being rewritten, but I don't expect this to be hard. Again, it all depends on the alling convention(s) being used on tat platform.

Mic said that compiling ecpalm.lib should not be a huge task. True, but I wonder about all the I/O part. How specific is it compared to what is in the backend? Not to mention the multitasking issue.

CChris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu