Re: enum options

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
CChris said...
Matt Lewis said...
CChris said...
Matt Lewis said...

Further, I think that the "with base=n" will lead to difficult to maintain code. I think that if you need some weirdness, it's better to explicitly declare it.

Isn't "with base n" explicit? I don't understand. It will also help Basic users, who have an Options Base n directive as well.

It's explicit wherever that statement is, which is not necessarily where the enum is declared.

Another scale issue.
If you have a couple enums to tweak, it is not neeeded. If you have a lot of them, then chances are that all of them are to be tweaked. And then the need to be explicit disappears, as all enums would be treated the same.

Don't get me wrong. I prefer the (from start_value ...) form. But your point was I think not much justified.

I don't know how to respond to this. The justification was that you can modify the way the code is interpreted by something drastically removed from the code itself. And there's no indication that this is taking place. What more justification should there be?

Yes, you would have a slight savings in effort if you didn't have to go through and adjust all of the enums. But again, this is a one time cost. You have to remember somehow that you're using a modified enum without any clue nearby in the source. What about this isn't clear?

I don't know, I guess we just live on different planets. :/

Mat

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu