Re: Euphoria v4.0; A couple of questions..

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
ZNorQ said...

I'm looking forward to check out v4.0. I must admit I haven't been paying much attention to the discussion around it (I know there have been alot of them), and I have a few questions;

a) Will there be any backwards compability issues? (Will for instance win32lib, etc. work without problems?)

There is a wiki page about migrating to 4.0. When it is up, you'll get a clear picture.

The forthcoming new standard library will not interfere with current code, as the pre 4.0 stuff will be there as usual. But if you want any of the hundred routines added, then you'll have to change or add a few include statements, and make some of them export in unfrequen cases.

The main batch of changes to existing code is about new keywords that can no longer be variable/routine names. If you had a function switch(sequence whatever), you'll have to rename it.

win32lib was reported doing fine with rev 924 a couple days ago, as well as Judith's IDE (after some renaming as of above). This is a good indicator of how little code breakage is expected.

ZNorQ said...

b) Is there, or will there be plans for "passing parameters by reference" in procedures/functions?

No immediate plans. However, nested routines might be implemented in 4.0 beta, and they would make pass by reference less useful. There is no official roadmap about this, but there is no known strong objection or technical obstacle. It won't be in 4.0 alpha.

ZNorQ said...

c) Is there a planned release date for Euphoria 4.0?

Jeremy has answered this already. Without the hacking last month, it might be out already. Small things at the end of the assembly line always take more time than expected, but I wouldn't be surprised by a release within 10-15 days. We don't all do two 9-to-5 shifts (day+night) on Eu...

ZNorQ said...

d) I'm not a programming wizz and I'm mostly pretty busy, but if there are any ways I can contribute, where do I sign up..?

I did notice that switch have been implemended, and for that I'm very grateful. That was the only thing I really wanted added to this wonderful programming tool.

Kenneth / ZNorQ

I'd let Jeremy answer this. Proofreading the docs is something simple and requires man/hours. They are only 97% finalised, and the online version is not the most recent one. I think the more look at it closely and report all sorts of markup errors, typos and stuff, the better.

CChris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu