Re: An illuminating experiment using platform().

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Shawn Pringle B.Sc. said...

The topic of platform() getting depricated has come up again. If there is one thing that should be depricated it is the depricate function. It keeps getting called at random and is only useful for breaking software.

Seriously, there is little cost involved using platform() as compared to say ifdef with the correct parameters. I wrote a seven line program called example:

include os.e 

if platform() = WIN32 then 
    printf(1, "Hello Windows", {} ) 
end if 

if platform() = DOS32 then 
    printf(1, "Hello DOS32", {} ) 
end if 

if platform() = LINUX then 
    printf(1, "Hello LINUX", {} ) 
end if 

Okay, so we will expect to see a comparison in the C code jumping over some display code after we compile. A branch seems like a little thing but some say that it is too ineficient to let us keep it. Just for curiosity, lets see how the branch is implemented. Is it a goto? I translated it using the options -plat DOS -wat and got this:

// ifdef WIN32 then

// if platform() = WIN32 then

// if platform() = DOS32 then

// printf(1, "Hello DOS32", {} )

EPrintf(1, _1153, _10);

L1:

// if platform() = LINUX then

Cleanup(0);

So, as you can see, the EPrintf() is there to replace the EUPHORIA printf but only the DOS32 version is there. The branches that include platform() = to other platforms are not even included.

There is absolutely no branching cost of using platform() rather than ifdef when translating to C.

Shawn Pringle B.Sc.

Let's take a look at a slightly more realistic issue.

include os.e 

for idx = 1 to 123456 
  if platform() = WIN32 then 
  end if 

if platform() = DOS32 then 
  end if 

if platform() = LINUX then 
  end if 
end for 
--Versus ifdef 

for idx = 1 to 123456 
  ifdef WIN32 then 
  end ifdef 

if DOS32 then 
  end ifdef 

ifdef LINUX then 
  end ifdef 
end for 

The platform() example remains as 3 if tests for all 123456 iterations of the idx loop. The ifdef gets reduced to a single print statement within the loop. I believe that we can all clearly see that it will execute many times faster. It simply has less to do. Some of you will say that this isn't a realistic example. Imagine that, instead of it being a for loop. It is a procedure or function that contains the ifdef or platform() test. Maybe sockets for Windows versus Linux. With platform(), every time the function is called, the decision must be made. However, using ifdef, the decision is made once and only the applicable code is applied.

Unkmar - Lucius L. Hilley III 

PS: Creole did not wish to allow me to format my signature to my liking. Apparently {{{ must be on a line all by itself.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu