Re: An illuminating experiment using platform().

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
CChris said...

Cross-output of IL, ie telling Eu that OSX is defined and WIN32 isn't ven though IL is output under Windows, would take care of the issue. And make use of raw IL more frequent, as it solves any parse time issues.

I'm not really convinced of this. Who would use IL code? Not end users, only developers. Now, would developers really use IL code? I would want source. I wouldn't use IL code and I suspect that will be the opinion of most, but don't want to speak solely for them, so speak up if you disagree.

Now, let's say that you do have a product that you distribute to your end users and you want to give them IL code for some reason. You have presumably (hopefully) already had to give them a platform dependent copy of euphoria. Thus, you are already maintaining platform dependent installs. Further, you have hopefully provided the end user with an installer? Further making your install platform dependent.

Now, let's say you do not give them euphoria and you do not give them an installer and just a bunch of IL files in a zip file and leave the rest up to them. Wow... what percentage of applications is this actually? 1%? 0.1%?

I do not see how distributed IL code is beneficial. I see great benefit in distributing bound and translated code. I suspect that we will begin to see much more translated code out there because it's so easy and because it's totally free now. Both in Euphoria and with open source compilers. OpenWatcom is literally cake to install. gcc comes with Linux/FreeBSD platforms so there is not even the need to do that there.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu