Re: An illuminating experiment using platform().

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Derek Parnell said...
Jeremy Cowgar said...

I do not fully understand what you are saying here.

How can I create an executable, targeted for Linux, on my Windows environment?

We have cross-translator abilities. The cross-translator should be defining UNIX, LINUX when on a Windows machine during the translation process. This shouldn't be a problem at all. I am not saying their is not a bug in it. I have not tried this process. However, I am saying that if it does not work then it is a bug that is easily fixed.

Jeremy

This (probably) works. It requires creating as many exeecutables as targeted platforms.

What I am talking about is canned IL, which is what shrouding outputs. If the code being shrouded has an ifdef WIN32, its else part won't be parsed. Fine if I want that IL to execute under Windows. Less fine if I want the IL to execute under Unix.

deferred_ifdef would parse all the alternatives, and make notes about where each starts and ends. When InputIL() is invoked on the target platform, it will cut the unnecessary IL off, so that the backend will execute _as if_ the ifdefs had been resolved on the same machine.

One file to distribute, no parse time. The added decoompression overhead is negligible, unless there are a ton of ifdefs.

If you want more speed, then have straight exevcutables by cross translation. The deferred_ifdef route would be a very convenient intermediate step between plain source and plain .exe .

CChris

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu