Re: EuForum; Next and Previous buttons

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
don cole said...

I emailed you w/ my email address. Did you get it? I don't know what SVN is. I thought this forum was written in Euphoria.

Ah... it hit my spam mail. Had no content and a subject of test... I am not very forgiving w/spam as my email address is very old and my poor mail server drops 90% of it's connections right away due to spam, of the remaining 10% only about 1% of that is even legit. It's crazy. Anyway, yes I got it.

The forum is written in Euphoria. SVN is a tool used to manage source code that may live on many different peoples machines. For instance, I have a copy, you may have a copy, eumario has a copy and Ron has a copy. What happens when Ron modifies forum.ex, as do I, then also you? Now you put your copy on the server, then I do, then Ron. Ron wins, only his changes will be visible. However, with SVN it handles a central storage for source code. In the above example, you commit your code to the repo, I then commit mine and SVN will merge my change into your change. Then Ron commits his and SVN does the same. Thus, in the end all the changes are kept. It manages conflicts (i.e. we edit the same line of code). It manages tags (1.0, 1.1, 1.2), it manages making branches for, say, experimental feature, let's try this out and see how it works out, but we do not want it in forum right now as it's just a try or a proof of concept, etc...

You can read about basic revision control practices on wikipedia:Revision_control and more about SVN specifically (there are many SCM systems) at Subversion's home page.

Jeremy

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu