Re: Another round of docs

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message
Jeremy Cowgar said...
Dan M. said...

I did mean to carry over the original indentations, the post just didn't show my leading spaces; I meant it to show as:

4.5.4 File name parsing 
   pathinfo 
   dirname 
   filename 
   filebase 
   fileext 

I'd have to see it in place. I am not sure how trivial that would be to implement. The way the docs are created is a new tool called eudoc. It reads a list of files either by command line or by an assembly file. It has plugable parsers to handle different file types. For instance, .txt files are are simply read and output as is, they are considered to be in creole format already. Any euphoria source file is passed to the euparser, which reads docs from comments and reads source to find exported/global items, it then outputs in creole format. Other parsers could be added, for instance, C, Python, Ruby or any language. I am planning on having a generic parser where you simply tell it what the language comment characters are and it'll do the rest.

Anyway, once all files are collected, it writes out one file from all the sources. That file is in the wikipedia:Creole format. We can then use any tool that reads a creole file. Numerous ones exist but IMHO, none as nice as the one that Derek has been able to create, which is of course written in Euphoria also. Derek's tool has many additions for publishing Creole files such as we have, including the Table of Contents, File Splitting, inner document links and much more.

I said all that to say, I am not sure what Derek would have to change. As the output tool is what actually is responsible for the Table of Contents and section numbering. I do have the ability to turn numbering on and off for any level, but it's a global option and I think it's good for them to have section numbers. i.e., Dan, see section 2.4.3 for XYZ. Hm, thinking about this, I think it would be easy for him to add a <span class="section_numbering">...</span> around the numbers, then we could make it a smaller font or something. That might do it and be easy to implement?

Jeremy

Hmm...what I'm thinking is make it retain the numbering if you click on

4.5.4 File name parsing

but not show the sub numbering if you click on

4.5 File System

that way, you could make reference to a sub-section, and those numbers would exist, in the "main" part of the doc, so a person could go to a specified sub-section; but in the "alternative" part of the doc that has the "Page Contents" listings, those sub-section numbering wouldn't show and wouldn't be necessary?

Dan

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu