Re: wxEditor v0.2 released

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

> Interestingly, I had an opposite experience. On a ~3GHz, 4GB machine running XP, it was painfully slow (presumably, this was translated?). On my 1.6GHz Dual Core 1GB machine running Kubuntu, it seems fineinterpreted with eu4.0. > > Matt

Weird. :/ On my 2.8Ghz w/HT, 2GB Windows XP Pro box computer at work, it runs flawlessly, with no flicker whatsoever both translated and interpreted. On my 2.4Ghz w/HT 1.5 GB Ubuntu 8.04 box at home, it runs like crap. I think it has to do with two factors: how big the file is (I load it as one sequence per line), and that I refresh the entire screen on each action. Therefore, I need at least two things to get it to work a lot faster:

1. a better way of loading the text file into memory
  2. wxClientDC wrapped in wxEuphoria, so I can draw without repainting

I'm also exploring a better way to buffer the text files. Currently, I'm loading each line of the file into a sequence, which is held in one large "text" sequence. I'm thinking of some compromise between a disk buffer (edb file?) and a memory buffer (sequences?). I've also got to write my own in-memory string routines, so I don't have to waste four bytes per character in memory. OR I can just hold out for a native Euphoria string type.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view thread      » older message » newer message

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu