1. Political question

I was reading about https://digital.globalclimatestrike.net and wondered if we (the site) would want to support this movement. More details are available on that page.

We'd previously weighed in on supporting the protest against SOPA (and technically agreed by a bare majority to go for it, but didn't join in due to a misunderstanding).

Thoughts from everyone?

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Political question

jimcbrown said...

I was reading about https://digital.globalclimatestrike.net and wondered if we (the site) would want to support this movement. More details are available on that page.

It seems like worthwhile cause. I just wonder what effect, if any, we'd have by contributing. We are but a tiny group and our influence over others is nigh invisible.

jimcbrown said...

We'd previously weighed in on supporting the protest against SOPA (and technically agreed by a bare majority to go for it, but didn't join in due to a misunderstanding).

Ugh. Thanks for the reminder about how awful SOPA was. That's a nightmare I hope to not relive in my lifetime.

jimcbrown said...

Thoughts from everyone?

I'm game. If we get more support I can put the code in place whenever.

-Greg

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Political question

Stopping SOPA/PIPA is/was a good idea. I don't know about closing the site down for the day. Though the option for having the closable overlay wouldn't be too bad.

4. Re: Political question

Icy_Viking said...

Stopping SOPA/PIPA is/was a good idea. I don't know about closing the site down for the day. Though the option for having the closable overlay wouldn't be too bad.

If you close for one day, that means that the one would-be new programmer who visits that day will assume that Eu has finally died. So not a good idea. Put up a banner, or something.

"Avoid things that damage but do no good" ~ Ancient Chinese philosopy, followed by millions

"Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" ~ Common Southern saying, followed by sirens of emergency vehicles

5. Re: Political question

irv said...

If you close for one day, that means that the one would-be new programmer who visits that day will assume that Eu has finally died. So not a good idea. Put up a banner, or something.

It wouldn't be 404 down. The site shows how there's a banner leading up to the day, and then the site just presents a "we're on strike" message for the whole day of.

Plus there are plenty of days when there's zero activity on this forum, so I don't see it affecting us too much. Being good citizens of internet might actually attract some folks.

-Greg

6. Re: Political question

If anyone connected with the internet cared about the climate, they would SHUT DOWN THE AD SERVERS for one day. I'm sure that uses more electricity and generates more heat than little old Eu has in the past 10 years.

Want to bet the ads will still be shown on every website that doesn't go 404?

7. Re: Political question

irv said...

SHUT DOWN THE AD SERVERS

As a voter, internet user, web developer, and relatively normal human being with two working eyes, I'm strongly in favor of this. Where do I sign up?

-Greg

8. Re: Political question

jimcbrown said...

Thoughts from everyone?

I'd rather this site remain apolitical.

9. Re: Political question

Also... Howdy, Jim!

Welcome back! grin

10. Re: Political question

I definitely think this site must stay apolitical. this about a language here. if not, please add https://wattsupwiththat.com also.

11. Re: Political question

begin said...

I definitely think this site must stay apolitical. this about a language here. if not, please add https://wattsupwiththat.com also.

Agreed. It should be about programming.

Programmers should, more than most, understand that that valid input is required if you expect the output to be valid.

Both sides of the climate debate are cherry-picking data from the fossil record and ice core samples which supports their position, while ignoring other parts which contradict their beliefs. Therefore, I have no confidence that either position is correct.

12. Re: Political question

euphoric said...

Also... Howdy, Jim!

Welcome back! grin

Thanks, good to be back!

Anyways, it looks like the consensus is: no consensus on the issue itself, but widespread agreement that we should stay apolitical and therefore out of this issue. Thanks to everyone who commented about this.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu