1. Bad Routine Number

Hello,

So I recently went to check my SDL wrapper while using the new Euphoria 4.1.0 Beta 2 and noticed that I get a bad routine number -1 when trying to run a example program. This did not happen using 4.0.5.

--Wrapper Code 
atom sdl2 

ifdef WIN32 then 
  sdl2 = open_dll("SDL2.dll") 
 elsifdef LINUX or FREEBSD then 
  sdl2 = open_dll("SDL2.so") 
end ifdef 

if sdl2 = -1 then 
	puts(1,"Failed to load SDL2.dll!\n") 
	abort(0) 
end if 

public constant xSDL_Init = define_c_func(sdl2,"SDL_Init",{C_UINT},C_INT) 

public function SDL_Init(atom flags) 

return c_func(xSDL_Init,{flags}) 

end function 
--Sample Program 

include std/machine.e 
include EuSDL2.ew 
include flags.e 

atom width = 640, height = 480 

--Init SDL2 
if SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) = -1 then --Error appears to be coming from here (This worked fine in 4.0.5) 
	puts(1,"Could not init SDL2!\n") 
	abort(0) 
end if 

--Window creation 
atom win = SDL_CreateWindow("Basic Window - Will close after 3 Seconds",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED,SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED,width,height,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN) 

if win = -1 then 
	puts(1,"Failed to create window!\n") 
	abort(0) 
end if 

SDL_Delay(3000) -- make the window appear for three seconds 

--Cleanup 
SDL_DestroyWindow(win)  

SDL_Quit() 
new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Bad Routine Number

if sdl2 < 1 then -- not -1 
	abort(0)  
end if  

An atom, actually a 32-bit address. 0 is returned if the .dll can't be found.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Bad Routine Number

Icy_Viking said...

So I recently went to check my SDL wrapper while using the new Euphoria 4.1.0 Beta 2 and noticed that I get a bad routine number -1 when trying to run a example program. This did not happen using 4.0.5.

Since 4.1 is both 32-bit and 64-bit, make sure you're not mixing versions of DLLs. 32-bit applications can only load 32-bit DLLs and vice-versa. Chances are you've got 64-bit Euphoria and 32-bit library, or again, vice-versa.

irv said...

An atom, actually a 32-bit address. 0 is returned if the .dll can't be found.

To elaborate, open_dll() is supposed to return an in-memory address to the library that it's opened, so it returns NULL (0) if the library cannot be found. Conversely, define_c_func/proc() return an ordinal number of the routine as it's stored in the table of known routines, so it returns -1 if the routine cannot be found in the library. Finally define_c_var() also expects to return an in-memory address of the variable it found in the library, but for some reason it will return -1 and not NULL if the variable cannot be found. A lot of this is a side effect of the backend internals (see be_machine.c).

-Greg

4. Re: Bad Routine Number

Ok, I figured out it was a 32-bit DLL I'm using, so that is correct. However, not I'm not getting the -1 error anymore. However nothing shows up when the basic program is executed. I ran it from the command line as well and no errors are coming up. Could it be the way windows draws windows/graphics? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

atom sdl2 

ifdef WIN32 then 
  sdl2 = open_dll("SDL2.dll") 
 elsifdef LINUX or FREEBSD then 
  sdl2 = open_dll("SDL2.so") 
end ifdef 

if sdl2 < 1 then --this has been changed from -1 
	abort(0) 
end if 
--EuSDL2 Basic Window Example 

include std/machine.e 
include EuSDL2.ew 
include flags.e 

atom width = 640, height = 480 

--Init SDL2 
if SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING) < 1 then 
	puts(1,"Could not init SDL2!\n") 
	abort(0) 
end if 

--Window creation 
atom win = SDL_CreateWindow("Basic Window - Will close after 3 Seconds",SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED,SDL_WINDOWPOS_CENTERED,width,height,SDL_WINDOW_SHOWN) 

if win < 1 then 
	puts(1,"Failed to create window!\n") 
	abort(0) 
end if 

SDL_Delay(3000) -- make the window appear for three seconds 

--Cleanup 
SDL_DestroyWindow(win)  

SDL_Quit() 

5. Re: Bad Routine Number

Icy_Viking said...

Ok, I figured out it was a 32-bit DLL I'm using, so that is correct. However, not I'm not getting the -1 error anymore. However nothing shows up when the basic program is executed. I ran it from the command line as well and no errors are coming up. Could it be the way windows draws windows/graphics? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

It looks like the SDL routines are using the CDECL calling convention. Euphoria will use the STDCALL convention by default on Windows. Have you prepended the function names with '+' to force CDECL?

This is only necessary on 32-bit Windows (64-bit uses its own single convention). The '+' will be safely ignored on 64-bit Windows and non-Windows systems.

-Greg

6. Re: Bad Routine Number

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

It looks like the SDL routines are using the CDECL calling convention. Euphoria will use the STDCALL convention by default on Windows. Have you prepended the function names with '+' to force CDECL?

This is only necessary on 32-bit Windows (64-bit uses its own single convention). The '+' will be safely ignored on 64-bit Windows and non-Windows systems.

-Greg

Interesting, I didn't have this problem with 4.0.5, also, no I haven't used the "+" in naming convention. Can you give me

7. Re: Bad Routine Number

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

-Greg

Interesting, I didn't have this problem with 4.0.5, also, no I haven't used the "+" in naming convention. Can you give me a quick example of how it would look like?

EDIT: I figured it out. I was also able to make the window appear. It appears the SDL2 DLL is using the _cdecl format, so you need the '+' in front of the function name. Like so:

public constant xSDL_Init = define_c_func(sdl2,"+SDL_Init",{C_UINT},C_INT) --Notice the '+' right next the function name inside the quotes. 

public function SDL_Init(atom flags) 

return c_func(xSDL_Init,{flags}) 

end function 

Now I have to add that "+" for the rest of the 2000+ functions :P.

8. Re: Bad Routine Number

Not meaning to double post, but:

I have updated all of my wrappers for Euphoria 4.1.0 Beta 2. Since I'm using the 32-bit version, I had to add "+" inside the function names. The wrappers now work and I have tested them.

9. Re: Bad Routine Number

Icy_Viking said...

I figured it out. I was also able to make the window appear. It appears the SDL2 DLL is using the _cdecl format, so you need the '+' in front of the function name.

Good to hear. This is definitely a problem that's tripped me up before. It's also not always intuitive from the headers you're trying to wrap. Sometimes you have to play follow-the-macro to see where the calling convention gets declared.

Icy_Viking said...

If you use Notepad++, you can either do a Find/Replace:

• Find: sdl2,"SDL
  • Replace: sdl2,"+SDL

Or use the multi-line selection feature (Shift+Alt+Up/Down) to insert the same character on every line. This does require your define_c_func/proc lines be vertically aligned, however.

-Greg

10. Re: Bad Routine Number

ghaberek said...
Icy_Viking said...

I figured it out. I was also able to make the window appear. It appears the SDL2 DLL is using the _cdecl format, so you need the '+' in front of the function name.

Good to hear. This is definitely a problem that's tripped me up before. It's also not always intuitive from the headers you're trying to wrap. Sometimes you have to play follow-the-macro to see where the calling convention gets declared.

Icy_Viking said...

If you use Notepad++, you can either do a Find/Replace:

• Find: sdl2,"SDL
  • Replace: sdl2,"+SDL

Or use the multi-line selection feature (Shift+Alt+Up/Down) to insert the same character on every line. This does require your define_c_func/proc lines be vertically aligned, however.

-Greg

Thanks for the tip.

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu