1. Laptop Screen Size Survey: 15" or 17"

I'm torn between choosing a 15" or 17" laptop. It will be primarily for OE/wxEuphoria/remote CGI app development.

15" is obviously more portable, but not by that much. Either size will fit on the local coffee shop's tables quite easily, and both can be ported down to the beach for some ocean-side app dev.

But is the premium for the 17" worth it (generally about $200 or so, I think)? If I'm only going remote once every week or less, is the 17" going to be tolerable? I like the idea of the 17" just because I'm getting older and the bigger screen might be better for my eyes.

I'm looking for experienced opinions! Let me know what you think.

Thank you!

new topic     » topic index » view message » categorize

2. Re: Laptop Screen Size Survey: 15" or 17"

My approach is to add two monitors to my netbook when on a desk. One works from the video port and the other works from a usb video adapter. Mint Linux thus gives me three monitors and multiple flip screens. On this basis I can put up with a "bad" monitor on the netbook, and gain ultra portability.

_tom

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

3. Re: Laptop Screen Size Survey: 15" or 17"

I'm not experienced using Euphoria on a laptop because I almost exclusively use a desktop. However, I would say you can never get enough screen space.

If you're like me you have an editor window, an input data file open to see the file contents/formatting your program needs to read correctly, an output file open to see if your last program run wrote it correctly, and the EU help open to get the syntax correct on statements you don't use enough to remember. That's 4 windows on 2 monitors for me. How you'll ever live with a 15" screen for programming is beyond me.

Whether it is worth $200 for the upgrade is something only you can decide, however the decision would be obvious for me: get the 17" version.

Cheers.

Mark.

new topic     » goto parent     » topic index » view message » categorize

Search

Quick Links

User menu

Not signed in.

Misc Menu